Media Contact: Rochelle Rose, Fund Development Director, (805) 699-7227 or
Annette Montoya, Corporate Communications Manager, (805) 781-3088 x
Peoples' Self-Help Housing and USDA Host Roundtable On Jobs, Economic Growth in Santa Maria on Jan. 27
Business Owners, Residents, Community Leaders Invited to Share Ideas on Creating Jobs
Peoples’ Self-Help Housing (PSHH) in partnership with United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development will host a county-wide roundtable on job creation and economic growth on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the community room of Peoples’ housing complex Los Adobes de Maria II, 1148 W. Boone Street, in Santa Maria.
The forum will provide an opportunity for residents, business owners and community leaders to share ideas on creating jobs and improving economic opportunities.
Co-hosted with USDA, the forum will be moderated by PSHH Director of Self-Help Housing Development, Sheryl Flores. Similar forums are being led and organized by USDA Rural Development throughout the state and the nation. Reservations are not required but appreciated by calling PSHH at (805) 781-3088 x0 or email email@example.com.
Business owners, residents, state and local officials, union members, non-profit organizations, community leaders, economists and other interested parties are invited to share ideas during this roundtable discussion. Attendees will have an opportunity to talk about steps that can be taken to grow the economy and put Americans back to work.
Following the forums and town meetings held around the country, a final report will be produced for USDA Secretary Vilsack and President Obama. The final report will also be sent to all participants who signed in as well as members of California's state legislature, congressional delegation and other interested parties.
The primary focus of the forum will be on gathering ideas on how to accelerate job growth in rural America.
Some of the topics to be discussed are:
• Exploring ways to rejuvenate and promote local businesses;
• Creating jobs by rebuilding America’s infrastructure;
• Creating new opportunities from existing ones, such as with value-added agricultural products;
• Supporting job growth among small businesses; and
• Preparing workers for 21st century jobs.
The desired outcomes for the stateside forums are:
• Produce one document that clearly outlines the needs and issues of California regarding jobs and economic development in our rural communities and resource-based industries: agriculture, forestry, fisheries.
• Some sense of consensus on the contents of this document so that California's diverse interest groups can begin to work together to pursue the recommendations offered.
• A shared experience by the various partners at the local level that can be built upon for future collaboration
For more information on the forums or the report, visit www.rurdev.usda.gov/ca.
Founded in 1970, Peoples’ Self-Help Housing is an award winning non-profit organization that develops affordable housing and community services for low-income households and homeownership opportunities for working families. With over 125 employees, over 1,150 homes completed, and 1,250 affordable rental units owned and managed by The Duncan Group, Peoples’ Self-Help Housing has become the premiere affordable housing and community developer on the Central Coast, with offices in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. For more information or to make a reservation contact (805) 781-3088, or visit www.pshhc.org.