History and Facts
Peoples' Self-Help Housing is a national award-winning non-profit organization that creates affordable housing and self-sufficiency programs on California's Central Coast -- San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura Counties.
In 1970 in San Luis Obispo, California, a small group including Jeanette Duncan, former Executive Director, and local community leaders were concerned about the lack of affordable housing available to low-income and special needs households. The group learned of a federally sponsored program available to nonprofit sponsors to finance the construction of owner built, low-income housing.
- Founded in 1970
- Operates 48 affordable housing complexes in over 25 communities of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties
- Has helped nearly 1,200 first time home buyers build and purchase their first home
- Has developed or renovated nearly 1,800 units of residential housing
- Housing dedicated for the disabled, seniors, veterans and other special needs
- Provides affordable rental housing for over 5,000 low-income adults and children.
- Charter Member of NeighborWorks America, a national network of community development organizations
- Provides technical assistance to numerous jurisdictions
- 180 staff with a variety of skills and a deep commitment to mission and serving our community