History and Facts
With a mission to build affordable homes with site-based services that offer opportunity to change lives and strengthen communities, Peoples' Self-Help Housing is the largest nonprofit developer on California's Central Coast. We serve low-income families,farmworkers,seniors and veterans and provide welcoming environments for those living with disabilities and the formerly homeless. Along with building and managing beautiful and accessible neighborhoods in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, we provide a wide-range of resident services.
In 1970 in San Luis Obispo, California, a small group including Jeanette Duncan, former Executive Director, and local community leaders were concerned about the lack of affordable housing available to low-income and special needs households. The group learned of a federally sponsored program available to nonprofit sponsors to finance the construction of owner built, low-income housing.
- Founded in 1970
- Operates 48 affordable housing complexes in over 25 communities of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties
- Has helped nearly 1,200 first time home buyers build and purchase their first home
- Has developed or renovated nearly 1,800 units of residential housing
- Housing dedicated for the disabled, seniors, veterans and other special needs
- Provides affordable rental housing for over 5,000 low-income adults and children.
- Charter Member of NeighborWorks America, a national network of community development organizations
- Provides technical assistance to numerous jurisdictions
- 180 staff with a variety of skills and a deep commitment to mission and serving our community